Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Thursday, November 10, 2011

JBOT Amplifier Installed in Azorean DSB Rig

I've been remiss in posting to the blog, but I have a good excuse: I've been melting solder. I have working on the installation of my new Farhan-designed JBOT amplifier in my old Azorean DSB transceiver. I'm really enjoying this project, and I now see it as the first in a series. My shack has a number of creations that were built during the peak years of the last solar cycle, but have since fallen into disuse. Many of them were partially cannibalized -- usually it was the RF amplifier that was taken out. The JBOT was just what I needed. I plan to refurbish all of these rigs, adding a bit of India to each one of them. This is very much in keeping with our "International Brotherhood of Electronic Wizards" ethos.

The installation went fairly well, but with all of the ups and downs that accompany this kind of project. The amp worked fine on the bench, fed with a signal generator and into a dummy load. But of course, life got more complicated when I installed it in the rig. Yes, it took off on me. This was no fault of the amplifier -- I just needed to add some additional shielding. It is working fine now. See above. I moved it out of center stage and put it off in the corner to avoid feedback problems. More discussion of this in the next podcast (maybe this weekend).

Our book: "SolderSmoke -- Global Adventures in Wireless Electronics"http://soldersmoke.com/book.htmOur coffee mugs, T-Shirts, bumper stickers: http://www.cafepress.com/SolderSmokeOur Book Store: http://astore.amazon.com/contracross-20

3 comments:

  1. There's just something about that D-104 along side the Azorean 17........
    Perfect!

    (and yes, I noticed the 'bait' in the foreground, HA!)

    73.......Steve Smith WB6TNL
    "Snort Rosin"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five, count em, FIVE elements Steve! I did it for you OM.

    ReplyDelete

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column