Podcasting since 2005! Listen to Latest SolderSmoke

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Mechanical Memory Keyers

Billy and I went to the Rome flea market this Sunday and picked up a clock motor that may become the core of a mechanical keyer for the single transistor QRSS MEPT beacon we've been talking about. Unfortunately ours is battery powered -- we couldn't find any wind-ups that had a second hand.

I got an intersting e-mail on this subject from Gene, K8EE:

Mechanical Memory Keyer

Monday, March 16, 2009 6:44 PM
From:
To:
n2cqr@yahoo.com

Hi Bill,
Just wanted to let you know that I built a mechanical memory keyer
back around 1960. It was very similar to the one you suggested in the
last "Solder Smoke." I built it for the radio club to use on Field Day. It
It used a phonograph motor to coupled to a mechanical variable speed
drive
. A circular piece of PC board was attached to the output of the
VS drive. Patterns were etched on the PC board for the CW
messages, one to call CQ, one for the contest exchange and one to say
"tnx QRZ ...."

Of course, the variable speed can be achieved with a D.C. motor instead of
the mechanical VS drive. Todays computer software can create much
better artwork to etch on the PC board.

Unfortunately, I threw the thing out in the trash a couple of months ago. I
wish I still had it so that I could send you a picture of it. Oh well. What's
done is done.

Tell the guys that it CAN be done and it HAS been done.

73,
Gene Mayler - K8EE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designer: Douglas Bowman | Dimodifikasi oleh Abdul Munir Original Posting Rounders 3 Column